- Serves: 7 people
- Prep Time: 30 Mins
- Cooking: 1.30 Hours
Thalassery Chicken Biriyani is a traditional Biriyani recipe of North Kerala. Here, we describe how to prepare a perfect Thalassery Biriyani that is a favorite of many food lovers all over the World. The main spices in this biriyani is the green chillies and garam masala..
Well, the term "chicken biriyani" itself makes one's mouth to water. As soon as the word you hear, you almost lost in the rich aroma and flavor of this wonderful all time favorite dish. Biriyani got its name from Iranian word "birian" meaning "fried before cooking". So we can believe that it originated from Iran. Biriyani has always been a rich festive food.
We have to cover several careful steps and procedures to get the best and ideal Thalassery chicken biriyani for our friends and families. This biryani recipe can be the most shared recipe item through Homely Kitchen. This will be perfectly suited for parties of any kind, wedding, ceremonies etc. It’s incredible taste can be a sensation in the food lovers world. This biryani recipe is one of the best and magnificent dishes in Homely Kitchen with exquisite taste. However, with most ingredients available readily these days making biriyani is no more a challenging task. Now days it’s cooked almost every week or at least once or twice in a month in most families.
In Kerala, the most popular and best served biriyani is the authentic and aromatic Thalassery chicken biriyani. This is must try recipe for all biriyani lovers. Check it out!!
Making the chicken masala
- Marinate chicken with 1tsp turmeric powder,2 tbsp chilli powder and salt and keep it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sauté it it a frying pan by pouring oil for 10 to 15 minutes(Not fry).
- Heat a vessel and pour oil(you can take the balance oil that is used for frying the chicken) and put chopped onions by adding salt and saute until it turns brown color.
- Add tomatoes into it and saute well.
- Then add green chilly,garlic and ginger paste into and saute it too.
- Add ½ tsp turmeric powder into it.
- Now add curry leaves and cilantros into it .
- Add fried/cooked chicken pieces into the masala,mix well and close it with a lid and make the fire in simmer mode.Let it cook for some time.
- Open the lid after a few minutes and turn over the masala with a stirrer.Now our masala is ready.
Making the biriyani rice
- Heat another vessel and pour oil.
- Put 1 cup of chopped onion into the boiling oil and fry it until brown color.
- Put raisins and cashew nuts into it and fry them too.
- Remove the fried onion, raisins and cashews from the oil and keep it aside.
- Pour the water into it and let it boil or you can add boiled water so that it will boil easily.
- Add the salt.
- squeeze a piece of lemon into the water.
- Add the cleaned biriyani rice into the boiling water and mix well.
- Close the vessel with a lid and let it cook .
- Turn out the sides using a stirrer at regular intervals.Make sure the rice should not stick at the bottom of the vessel.Make the fire in simmer mode and check whether the rice is cooked or not.If not cook it for few more minutes.
- Now our biriyani rice is also ready. Switch off the fire.
- Take the biriyani rice in a quarter plate or a stirrer and place it over the chicken masala and make a layer(1/3 of the rice should be placed over the masala).Make the fire in simmer mode.This is known as dhum.
- Put the fried onion,cashew nuts and raisins over it along with 1/4 tsp garam masala and cilantros.
- Make another layer with the rice and put the above things.Again continue the layering and press the rice with a stirrer.
- Close the vessel tightly with a lid ( You can place a weight over the lid so that it will be closed tightly ).Then only the spicy taste of the masala joins with the rice.
- Let it cook for few minutes.
- Open the lid after 5 minutes and again retake the biriyani rice into the biriyani vessel using a stirrer until the masala portion reaches.
- Now our delicious Thalassery Chicken Biriyani is ready .There will be some yellowish rice over the masala .Mix it along with the rice in the vessel.
- Serve it separately in two plates or you can place the rice over the masala and serve it...
Delicious , Spicy Thalassery chicken Dum Biriyani is Ready....
You may also like