- Serves: 10 people
- Prep Time: 15 Mins
- Cooking: 30 Mins
Puliyinji / Inji Curry / Ginger - Tamarind Curry is a quick recipe with its own tradition taste. It’s a simple recipe but very famous in Kerala. Malayalis are very fond of this side dish. Tamarind and ginger are the major ingredients that add some more taste and uniqueness to this Puliyinji. It tastes great if you blend the mixture correctly.
Puliyinji is something which is sweet and sour ginger pickle usually served as an appetizer in Kerala sadhya. No Kerala fest is complete without puliyinji. It’s a combination of tongue pleasing flavors The main Ingredients in puliyinji are ginger, tamarind and jiggery. It can be refrigerated and stored as pickle.
We prepare the pickle day before the feast, so that we can keep it overnight and will be perfect for the next day’s feast. It is one of the favorite dishes of almost all Keralites. There are lots of variations and each one has unique tastes according to the way of preparation of each region or each home. Today I would like to share the version of authentic puliyinji which is one of my mom’s staple recipes.
This is very popular and regular version in all homes with shallots but the process of making them is simple enough
- Dice coconut, ginger and green chilly into small pieces.
- Soak tamarind for some time and squeeze it and filter it to make 2 cups.
- Boil it in a curry pan by adding chili powder and salt, till the mixture is reduced to a thick gravy.Make the fire in simmer mode.
- Pour it into the tamarind mixture and stir well.
- Boil it for some time.
- Fry diced coconut and ginger seperately in a frying pan until it turns golden color.
- Put the fried ginger and coconut into the tamarind mixture.
- Heat a frying pan and sauté black gram, green chili and curry leaves.
- Pour this into the tamarind mixture and boil it in simmer mode until the mixture is reduced and the color turns dark brownish.
- Stir at intervals and switch off the fire.
Serve it with meals..
You may also like